Monday, April 16, 2012

The Waiting Game

I spend most of my life waiting- waiting for the second interview, waiting for the application status on a job, waiting to hear if I got my dream apartment, waiting for a phone call that may or may not come. Why do we wait? I have realized that while I wait, life continues, oblivious to whether or not I get that promising job. The world still turns regardless of whether that phone call brings acceptance or rejection. Sometimes I like waiting, feeling as if everything is out of my control, remembering there is nothing more I can do. 
I think waiting is alright in practice if it doesn't completely fill your existence. I have been waiting for almost a week so I can go on a second interview for a job. Temporarily, I have given up the job search in the hopes that this would be "the one," so what's the point? I suppose this would be detrimental if I had given up everything in my life for a week, but I have used the time to write, and I'm making progress. I think the waiting game is a fun one to play, if you can distract yourself with other tasks along the way. It becomes hazardous to your health when you sit in the waiting room, life on hold, barely breathing until you hear the news. 
Don't sit in the waiting room. Distract yourself. Continue to move along because whether or not you get that job, life keeps moving. It's up to you to decide whether you want to catch up or lag behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment