Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Road Not Taken



"I shall be telling this with a sigh/ Somewhere ages and ages hence:/ Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--/ I took the one less traveled by,/ And that has made all the difference." ~Robert Frost


I seem to have come upon two roads in my own life. I guess I should not say two roads yet, maybe a road and a small path is more accurate. I have been offered a job that I really think I will enjoy. I am happy because I believe it will inspire me creatively and supplement my outgoing character; however, it does not offer all of the benefits I initially hoped it would. At the same time, I was just presented with another opportunity; however, I'm only on phase one of that journey as I wait to see whether I will be invited back for the elusive second interview. Today I saw a path forming from this potential opportunity, not only a path but a career. It is not the place of fun and creativity that my first job offers, but it provides stability and a foundation for a career that I've only begun to realize I can grasp. I can't get too ahead of myself on my encounters of today because I have not been offered this job, but I want it. If I am offered the job then I truly will encounter Mr. Frost's two roads diverged. 
It is fear that is holding me back from grabbing on to these opportunities. It is fear that allows doubt to shadow both these potential paths. And it is fear that leads me to question what it is I truly want, fear that pushes me to ask anyone and everyone for their opinion, for if I do that then I can distract myself from the truth. I can distract myself from internally asking those same questions. I know that within the next couple weeks time will tell if I even have to make a choice. While I am scared at the threat of disappointing someone, I'm starting to see that it is a challenge I should welcome. If I refuse to head down a path due to fear of hurting someone's feelings then how am I really benefiting from the situation? Considering the options and deciding what is the best choice for me is not selfish, it allows me to stay true to my aspirations. And I know that either way I will come out a victor. By the end of the month I will be exploring one of these options through no one's decision but my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment