Saturday, July 14, 2012

It's All About Attitude

It really is all about attitude. One thing I wish to share today is the importance of having a good attitude. Let's face it, we all have our bad days. We all go through periods in our lives where we'd rather not smile, we'd rather just mope. A lot of times, these periods of sadness are justified and even healthy; however, one of my pet peeves involves people who (knowingly or not) push their negative attitudes on all of those around them. You know what I'm talking about- the coworker who comes in with a grudge, the customers who regard you as dumb or worthless because you can't give them what they want, the stranger that bumps you on the street yet continues to walk by ignorantly. These people impact us. At least, they impact me. 
I was in a perfectly good mood at work today when I was faced with negative person after negative person. It was as if I just kept crashing into storm clouds when all I was searching for was sun. I understand that everyone has things going on in their individual lives, but please do not take it out on me! I will listen, I will sympathize, but what I don't want to do is bear the brunt of your frustrations while you refuse to explain them to me. That's not fair to me, and it's not really fair to you. The longer you hold on to that grudge and continue to take it out on the wrong people, the worse it gets. You can't solve anything by blaming the wrong people. In doing that, you ignore the root of the problem and the situation can never be resolved. While you may not want to face that ex-boyfriend, parent, or best friend, the only way to rectify a problem is by addressing it. The more you ignore, the worse it will be. Why take it out on random people or those you love when you could spend your energy and time making it right? 
Now, I'm not saying that I am never guilty of this offense. Oh no, I'm far from perfect. I'm the best at being cranky with those I love when something else is bothering me, but I've gotten better. I recognize that I hate being the brunt of frustration that should never have been aimed at me in the first place, so why would I do that to someone else? "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" comes to mind. 
Our attitude doesn't only affect us; it affects others. So I would ask you to just step back for a moment and think the next time you feel like screaming at the cashier because she didn't deduct your coupon or when you feel like tackling your significant other when he/she doesn't do the dishes. Ask yourself: what am I really upset about? Maybe you really are just frustrated with your cashier or your significant other, but most times it runs deeper than that. It only takes that one annoying event to set you over the edge. I just ask that you don't take your frustration out on the wrong audience. Confront the person with whom you have an issue, then move on. Life is too short to hold grudges, and it's way too short to lose the respect of those around you due to one misdirected comment or outburst.

No comments:

Post a Comment